FOCUS AREA: Health
The importance older people place on health cannot be over-emphasised.
Access to health services is vital. The ideal is a high level of accessibility with minimum fuss and difficulty.
Support to assist with navigating the health care system. Actions and initiatives being considered:
- Seamless, joined up care
- Follow up with clients after checkups
- Easy to access appointments
- Readily available information about where to go, how to access services
Enabling access to quality health services despite distance from main centres.
- Retention of the local hospital is essential
- Attracting qualified people to the area
- Adequate special services eg dementia, mental health
- Majority of services accessed locally
- Greater use of telemedicine and remote servicing
Care Delivery Innovation
Doing things differently to improve the quality, availability and accessibility of health care.
- Improved integration of services and connectedness between them
- Culturally appropriate – for iwi and migrants
Home Support and Home Based Technology
Providing in home support which boost independence and confidence, and ensure that older people do not become isolated from health and wellness services by remaining in their own home.
- In home medical support
- Electronic monitoring connected to primary providers
- Community nursing
Health and Wellness Accessibility
Increasing access and minimising barriers to health and wellness services.
- Affordability, barriers are minimised
– both health and wellness (preventative)
- Transport readily available
- Home visits where appropriate
HAVE YOUR SAY
We would love to hear from you! What do you think needs to be done to make Gore District the place you would want to stay in for your older years?