FOCUS AREA: Social
Social participation is vital for well-being at any age, but can be severely constrained in older years if other matters such as health, housing and mobility cause pressure.
Remove Barriers to Participation
Identify the barriers and implement initiatives and actions to overcome them.
- Antisocial attitudes
- Mental health issues
- Substance abuse
- Transport / location
Encourage Enablers to Participation
Enablers will vary for different people, but these need to be maximised.
- Communication and ability to find social connections
- Transport services
- Networking / mentoring / buddying
- Community attitude to connectedness
Connection with Volunteerism
Many people, regardless of age, volunteer for community organisations to connect socially.
- Centralised database of organisation and service clubs
Identifying win/win opportunities where community needs and the needs and desires of older people can be matched.
- Connection with ECEs (Early Childhood Centre’s) and Primary Schools
- Connection with Hokonui Huanui
HAVE YOUR SAY
We would love to hear from you! What do you think needs to be done to make Gore District the place you would want to stay in for your older years?